Dylan Frittelli becomes fourth PGA Tour pro to test COVID-19 positive

Frittelli forced to withdraw from this week's Rocket Mortgage Classic.

Andy Roberts's picture
Mon, 29 Jun 2020

Dylan Frittelli has become the fourth PGA Tour player to test positive for coronavirus following a screening ahead of his charter flight to this week's Rocket Mortgage Classic. 

Frittelli, 30, missed the cut at the Travelers Championship on Friday and has now been forced to withdraw from this week's tournement and must now self-isolate for 10 to 14 days as per the PGA Tour's new policy. 

"I am experiencing no issues and feel great physically and was surprised and disappointed to learn of the positive test today,” said Frittelli, who won last year's John Deere Classic. 

"I’m thankful for the Whoop strap notification of a minor increase in my respiratory rate overnight."

Nick Watney, Cameron Champ, Denny McCarthy have also tested positive for coronavirus over the last two weeks. 

PGA Tour players that test positive for coronavirus are now eligible to receive as much as $100,000 providing they follow the circuit's health and safety guidelines during the two-week self-isolation process. 

The news came to light during PGA Tour commissioner Jay Monahan's press conference last Wednesday ahead of the Travelers Championship. 

"We have developed a program, a stipend program, for players on our tours, if they were to test positive during the week or during competition, and to be able to be eligible for those protocols, we’ve just reconfirmed for our players, you must follow our protocols in order to qualify for the stipend," said Monahan. 

So far, 2,757 players, caddies and officials had been tested with seven positive COVID-19 tests during the past three weeks.

WATCH: MATT WALLACE IS FUMING ABOUT THE NEGATIVE COMMENTS HE HAS RECEIVED AFTER PLAYING THE SECOND ROUND OF THE TRAVELERS

 

Comments

Loading Comments...