Rory McIlroy has told Barstool Sports reporter Dan Rapaport he skipped the RBC Heritage the week after The Masters last month "due to personal reasons" and that it was a "private matter".
McIlroy then expanded further on the reasons for bypassing the designated event at Hilton Head following his missed cut at Augusta National in an interview with Golf Channel's Todd Lewis.
The 33-year-old Northern Irishman said he needed to take three weeks away from the game in a bid to address his "mental and emotional well-being".
McIlroy was the pre-tournament favourite to win The Masters, and with it complete the career grand slam.
But he would go on to miss the cut by a couple of shots on 5-over par.
McIlroy then chose to remove his name from the following week's tournament, a designated event on the PGA Tour.
As a result of withdrawing from the RBC Heritage before the start of the tournament, McIlroy forfeited $3m of his Player Impact Program (PIP) money as players are only allowed to miss one designated event during the PGA Tour season.
Spoke briefly to Rory McIlroy. Said his WD from the RBC Heritage was due to personal reasons and that it’s a private matter. He’s happy to be back at Quail Hollow this week.— Dan Rapaport (@Daniel_Rapaport) May 2, 2023
McIlroy told Lewis:
I spoke with Rory McIlroy about taking time off and skipping the @RBC_Heritage. He said, “More for my mental and emotional well being I needed to be at home for those few weeks…..I think I’m in a better head space than I was.” Hear full interview on @GCGolfToday & @GolfCentral.— Todd Lewis (@ToddLewisGC) May 2, 2023
"A needed break."— Sky Sports Golf (@SkySportsGolf) May 2, 2023
Rory McIlroy said he skipped the RBC Heritage for mental health related reasons following his missed cut at the Masters. pic.twitter.com/395MABC2U6
Paul McGinley had already expressed his concerns for McIlroy's mental well-being as early as The Players Championship in March.
Related: Tiger Woods and Joe LaCava split
However, after a few weeks off to press the reset button following a dismal MC at The Masters, McIlroy is back in action at this week's Wells Fargo Championship.
The Ulsterman has form here too having won three times previosuly down the years (2010, 2015, 2021).
McIlroy's name was not down on the pre-tournament interview schedule though, which is a rarity these days on the PGA Tour.
Two weeks ago, McIlroy's former agent blasted him for "opening his mouth too much".