Golf legend Gary Player makes major Bryson DeChambeau announcement
Bryson DeChambeau will return to South Africa in December after Gary Player confirmed the two-time U.S. Open champion will make his Nedbank Golf Challenge debut at Sun City.
Golf legend Gary Player has confirmed Bryson DeChambeau will compete in the Nedbank Golf Challenge for the first time in his career this December.
The LIV Golf superstar will tee it up at the Gary Player Country Club from December 3-6.
The appearance will be DeChambeau's second competitive visit to South Africa this year after he won the inaugural LIV Golf South Africa in March.
The 32-year-old American defeated Jon Rahm in a playoff thriller at The Club at Steyn City to claim victory on his first competitive appearance in the country.
Now, DeChambeau will return to South Africa to make his Sun City debut and attempt to add his name to the famous roll call of Nedbank Golf Challenge champions.
Player, 90, confirmed the news in a video shared on his social media channels, with DeChambeau personally telling the nine-time major champion that he will be returning for the tournament.
"Mr Player, it's official, I'm coming back to South Africa to play in your event, the Nedbank Challenge," DeChambeau said as the pair shook hands.
Tournament host Player was equally delighted by the announcement.
"We are so excited," Player replied.
"What you did at Steyn City, we haven't seen other players do, it was remarkable.
"They just loved you as they do around the world, and for you to come back to my tournament is a great honour."
Player also pointed out that DeChambeau should enjoy the Gary Player Country Club because of its length, telling the big-hitting American it should be right up his street.
Watch the video here:
The Nedbank Golf Challenge, in honour of Gary Player, marks one of the biggest events on the South African sporting calendar.
The DP World Tour event forms part of the Opening Swing of the 2027 Race to Dubai season and features a $6 million prize fund.

The Nedbank Golf Challenge has attracted some of the biggest names in golf down the years, with former champions including Seve Ballesteros, Sir Nick Faldo, Nick Price, Ernie Els, Sergio Garcia, Retief Goosen, Jim Furyk, Lee Westwood and Tommy Fleetwood.
Kristoffer Reitan won last year's tournament.
Tiger Woods came close to victory at the Nedbank Golf Challenge in 1998 when losing out to Price in a playoff.
DeChambeau will now attempt to join the illustrious cast of Nedbank winners when he arrives at Sun City in December.
It remains to be seen whether the two-time U.S. Open champion will still be a LIV Golf player when he tees it up in South Africa in early December.
The 2026 LIV Golf season is set to conclude at Indianapolis this week after the league confirmed that the scheduled Aramco LIV Golf Michigan event will no longer take place at the end of the month.
DeChambeau's LIV Golf contract is due to expire at the end of this season, leaving his future on the breakaway league somewhat uncertain.
LIV Golf is currently working on securing new investment after the Saudi Public Investment Fund (PIF) confirmed it will withdraw its funding beyond this season.
DeChambeau is said to be playing a key role in the negotiations.
BC Partners is reportedly leading the race to become LIV's next investor, with reports suggesting the futures of superstars such as DeChambeau and Rahm will be an important factor in any potential deal for 2027 and beyond.
Telegraph Sport last week reported there are fears on LIV that Rahm could be set for a shock departure after just three years on the league.
For now at least, one thing is certain and that is DeChambeau is heading back to South Africa before the end of the season.





