Phil Mickelson makes unsurprising prediction after Anthony Kim's LIV Golf win
Phil Mickelson says he believes Anthony Kim is still capable of winning a major championship after he returned to the winner's circle at LIV Golf Adelaide.
Phil Mickelson believes Anthony Kim still has what it takes to win a major championship.
Kim completed a sensational comeback to the sport last Sunday at LIV Golf's stop in Adelaide.
The American fired a scintillating final-round 63 at The Grange to overturn a five-shot deficit, leaving Bryson DeChambeau and Jon Rahm stunned.
It represented his first victory since the 2010 Shell Houston Open on the PGA Tour and first since he returned to the sport in late 2024 as one of LIV's wildcards.
Kim was congratulated from professional golfers on both sides of the divide after he was doused in fizzy water by his 4 Aces teammates.
European Ryder Cup captain Luke Donald, women's golf legend Annika Sorenstam and former LIV commissioner Greg Norman were among those to reach out.
As was Mickelson, who wrote on X that it was "one of the best stories in sports".
And Lefty believes could win a major championship, even in his 40s.
"I wish the win got him in the four majors," he wrote. "He might still get in by invite but he really earned it.
"Going head-to-head with Rahm and Bryson and winning was spectacular TV. Winning a major? I wouldn't put it past him.
"He deserves the opportunity to find out."
It's another bold claim, but Mickelson knows what it takes to win against the odds.
In 2021, Mickelson became the oldest male winner of a major championship.
He was 50 years, 11 months and three days old when he captured his sixth major title at the PGA Championship at Kiawah Island.
Kim has not played in a major since he missed the cut at the 2011 PGA Championship.
Has Anthony Kim qualified for any majors?
Kim has not yet qualified for any major in 2026.
His best chance is through the Official World Golf Ranking (OWGR), though special invites may be on the horizon.
LIV Golf now receives OWGR points and his win in Adelaide saw him jump more than 600 spots in the standings.
He's now ranked 203rd, above the likes of Cameron Smith.
The PGA of America were the only governing body to congratulate Kim after his victory, so there is a chance an invite could be on the horizon.
To be exempt into The Open and U.S. Open, Kim will need to be inside the top 60.
Tournament organisers of The Masters invite the top 50 players, with the rest of the field made up of past champions, top performers from other events and special invites.
The USGA and R&A announced last year that the leading LIV Golf player in the individual standings, not otherwise exempt, would gain entry to The Open and U.S. Open.
What has Anthony Kim said?
Kim told his YouTube channel at the beginning of the year that there was no doubt in his mind that he could be better than he ever was.
And he doubled down in his news conference on Sunday.
"Nothing is holding me back," he said. "I just have to keep working.
“The one percent better every day thing is a mindset that I'm going to carry with me until the day I die.
"I don't see why I can't make it to the top again."


