Famed golf analyst: Not impossible for Jon Rahm to reject LIV Golf millions

Brandel Chamblee says it's 'not impossible' to say no to the LIV Golf riches amid reports Jon Rahm has agreed a $300m deal with the breakaway tour.

Ben Smith's picture
Fri, 1 Dec 2023
Famed golf analyst: Not impossible for Jon Rahm to reject LIV Golf millions

Brandel Chamblee says it's 'not impossible' for Jon Rahm to reject LIV Golf's millions amid reports the Spaniard has signed a $300m deal to join the breakaway tour. 

Social media was ablaze on Thursday after it was suggested Rahm would be announced as a LIV player as soon as next week. 

The report came from FlushingIt on X who claimed to have it confirmed via 'multiple sources' on the player's side the World No. 3 has signed a contract that will run through to 2029. 

Rahm has reportedly been given the option to join Sergio Garcia's Fireballs side but it is said the 2023 Masters champion's preference would be to have his own team. 

As part of the alleged deal, Rahm would own a 25 per cent equity stake in his own team. 

If true, Rahm would arguably be the rival league's biggest signing since LIV launched in June 2022. 

LIV already boasts major champions and high-profile golfers such as Phil Mickelson, Dustin Johnson, Brooks Koepka and Cameron Smith but hasn't unveiled any marquee signings since the first wave of defections. 

Chamblee has made no secret of his disdain for LIV. He argues the golfers who have left the PGA Tour as being complicit in sportswashing. 

He pointed to Rahm's previous comments in which the Spaniard said he did not believe joining LIV would be the best choice for his career. 

Rahm has also previously spoken of amassing such vast wealth through professional golf that a lucrative deal 'wouldn't change my life'. 

Chamblee argued: "If true [Rahm's deal] does it not prove that the LIV/PIF fund can not be trusted in future negotiations with the Tour… and that Rahm's word and desire to test himself against the past greats of the game was nothing more than a ruse?"

He added: "It's not impossible to say no to that amount of money. Many sources say Tiger did and Messi did and that Rory was offered close to that and did.

"The entertainment company Endeavor, headed by Ari Emanuel, said no to 400 million from the Saudis. There are plenty of stars and financiers who care where the money comes from."

Of course it is important to note at this point the noise around Rahm is nothing more than conjecture. 

Though it has to be said that in the past Rahm has moved quickly to shut down any rumours he would be leaving the PGA Tour. 

Last September took to X to reply to a report suggesting his deal with LIV 'was a go'. 

"You and your source are wrong," Rahm wrote. 

Curiously, though, Rahm has stayed silent on social media since withdrawing from Tiger Woods and Rory McIlroy's indoor golf league. 

Rahm cited time commitments for withdrawing from the TGL. His withdrawal prompted the latest wave of wild rumours relating to the golfer.

Read more: