Masters 2015: Augusta like you've never seen it before

Augusta archive photos show its rise from fruit nursery to sporting mecca

Golfmagic Staff's picture
GolfMagic
Wed, 1 Apr 2015

Masters 2015: Augusta like you've never seen it before

The earliest photo of the Augusta National Clubhouse, taken in the 1890s when it was the Berckman's family home, and the property the site of their Fruitland Nurseries. (Photo by Augusta National/Getty Images)

Aerial view of the Augusta National on 10 January 1933, the year after its completion. The clubhouse can be seen top right with the current 10th plunging to the right. For the inaugural Masters in 1934, the nines were reversed, so the 10th was the first. (Photo by PhotoQuest/Getty Images)

An early view looking over Fruitland Manor - now the clubhouse - with the nursery beyond. (Photo by Augusta National/Getty Images)

View of the original entrance to Fruitland Nursery off the now concrete and neon strip of Washington Road in Augusta, Georgia. (Photo by Augusta National/Getty Images)

Magnolia Lane in its infancy. What would become the practice ground is on the left before it was moved to its current position several years ago. (Photo by Augusta National/Getty Images)

Co-founder Bobby Jones plays a shot on the current eighth hole while the course is under construction in front of his father, Bob Jones, Sr. (Colonel), co-founder Clifford Roberts, and course designer Alister MacKenzie  in 1932. (Photo by Augusta National/Getty Images)

Not a blade of grass is out of place these days, but in 1944 cows were raised on the property to assist the war effort. (Photo by Augusta National/Getty Images)

The 12th green at the heart of Amen Corner in 1948. The modern manicuring was yet to come. (Photo by Augusta National/Getty Images)

Bobby Locke of South Africa putts up the rise on the 12th green while playing Jimmy Demaret (left) and Sam Snead during the 1948 Masters. (Photo by Augusta National/Getty Images)

The 16th hole during a 1940s Masters Tournament at Augusta. The stream was converted into the now-familiar and infamous pond in 1947. (Photo by Augusta National/Getty Images)