Scotty Cameron has added a high-MOI mallet with enhanced toe flow to his new Futura line of putters – the Futura 5.5M – combining the forgiveness of a mallet with the feel of a blade.
Inspired by Cameron’s work with players on the worldwide professional tours, the Futura 5.5M offers a new mallet option featuring the alignment and high-MOI characteristics of the Futura line coupled with a neck configuration that promotes a flowing, arced putting stroke more commonly associated with blade style putters.
Master craftsman Cameron declared the putter came to life when Titleist and FJ ambassador Justin Thomas walked through the doors seeking a new flatstick.
"The idea for the Futura 5.5M began as a prototype when Justin Thomas came to the Putter Studio looking for a new option," said Cameron.
"He wanted a smaller mallet that he could align easily, but one that also promoted the arced putting stroke he preferred. We welded a flare neck to a Futura X5 Tour putter and sent him on his way. He went on to win three events, reporting back that some of his buddies wanted a putter like his. The wheels started turning from there.
"In addition to Justin’s visit, I’d also received requests for a smaller version of the Futura 7M. So, in thinking about this new entry in the world of mallet putters, I was able to blend my MOI and toe fl ow thoughts into this new model, the Futura 5.5M.
"To achieve this, I created a leaned over, stainless steel half-neck spud off the topline that accepts a single bend shaft. This is an elegant way to give the player a full shaft of offset and also offer a clean view of the entire leading edge of the topline.
"The proportion is right, the weight is right, and now we have a mallet with more toe flow for players who like that arcing feel in their stroke, but want more forgiveness.
FUTURA 5.5M DESIGN & TECHNOLOGY
- The compact mallet, about 10% smaller than the similarly-shaped Futura 7M, is designed for easy alignment with built-in toe flow.
- Shorter single bend shaft configuration for additional toe hang, promoting an arced path and flowing putting stroke.
- Multi-material technology – featuring wrap-around face-sole construction milled from lightweight 6061 aircraft grade aluminium, integrated with precision-milled 303 stainless steel – moves weight back and to the perimeter, allowing for a larger putter head with enhanced high-MOI performance (resistance to twisting during the stroke).
- Tour-proven heel-and-toe sole weighting technology increases stability and forgiveness.
- Mid-milled face with vibration dampening technology offers soft feel with 3.5 degrees of loft to deliver optimum roll characteristics
Each new Futura putter features advanced stability weighting with removable, customisable stainless steel sole weights, stepless steel shafts and supple Black Matador Mid-size grips with red and gold accents (Futura 6M DB employs a 15-inch Dual Balance grip) developed to offer the comfort of a larger grip while maintaining responsiveness and feel.
Scotty gave the Futura line’s raw stainless steel surfaces a Silver Mist finish with a unique bead blast for a radiant, yet glare-resistant, appearance. All aluminium sole plates have been anodised in black. Additionally, the Tour-inspired cosmetics display the familiar three bright translucent red dots in the back cavity with engraved typography befitting this modern, high-performance line.