“Most of us would be in jail”: Smith calls out Woods after car crash and DUI arrest
Tiger Woods DUI arrest sparks strong reaction from ESPN host Stephen A. Smith.
ESPN personality Stephen A. Smith has questioned Tiger Woods’ conduct following the golf legend’s DUI arrest last week, insisting that “most of us would be in jail” if faced with a similar history of incidents.
Woods, a 15-time major champion, was arrested in Florida on Friday 27 March after crashing his Range Rover SUV.
Martin County Police confirmed the 50-year-old golf legend clipped a truck while travelling at a “high rate of speed”.
Despite returning “triple zeros” on a breathalyser, according to Sheriff John Budensiek, Woods was charged with driving under the influence, property damage and refusal to submit to a lawful test.
An official police report stated he had two hydrocodone pills — an opioid painkiller — in his possession.
He was detained for eight hours before being released on bail and later pleaded not guilty on Tuesday 31 March via his lawyers.
A court hearing is scheduled for Thursday 23 April, although he is not expected to attend.
Four days after the incident, Woods confirmed he would be stepping away from golf to seek “treatment”, with a TMZ report indicating he has been granted permission to leave the United States for privacy reasons.
According to The Sun, Woods’ girlfriend Vanessa Trump — the ex-wife of Donald Trump Jr — is said to be deeply frustrated by last week’s incident.
While she remains supportive of Woods, who she has dated since October 2024, there is said to be tension within their relationship after his DUI arrest.
Smith hits out at Woods
Speaking on “News Nation” prior to Woods’ Tuesday statement, ESPN's Smith pointed to the golfer’s past incidents behind the wheel, arguing that repeated offences would have led to harsher consequences for others.
Last Friday's crash is the latest in a series of driving-related incidents involving Woods over the past two decades.
In 2009, Woods crashed his vehicle outside his Florida home, striking a fire hydrant, a tree and several hedges.
That incident came amid intense scrutiny of his personal life and reports of extramarital affairs, shortly before his divorce from Elin Nordegren was finalised in 2010.
He was also involved in another high-profile incident in 2017, when police found him asleep at the wheel of his parked Mercedes-Benz, again close to his Florida residence.
A toxicology report later revealed multiple prescription medications in his system, along with the active ingredient found in marijuana.
Woods subsequently admitted to a lesser charge of reckless driving and was sentenced to a year’s probation.
In February 2021, Woods suffered the most serious crash of his career in Los Angeles, sustaining severe injuries to his right leg.
Doctors at one stage considered amputation following the accident.
In the eyes of Smith, he's not just fortunate to still be alive, but also fortunate he's not been locked away for a period of time.
“You had this problem in 2017 when they found you sleeping in your car on the side of the road. You had this problem in 2021 when you crashed into a tree and tumbled over and almost got yourself killed. You had this issue again last Friday,” Smith said.
“All three times, you’re inebriated and you’re behind the wheel of a car.”
Smith then further questioned why Woods had not opted for a driver, given his wealth and status, and suggested the public perception is that the former world number one has been treated leniently.
“What the hell are you doing getting behind the wheel of a car? Most of us would be in jail,” Smith continued.
“Remember the second incident in 2021. They didn’t even… they didn’t charge him. They didn’t make him take an alcohol, you know, breathalyzer test. They didn’t test his blood, any of that stuff. He was hospitalized. They left him alone. So in a lot of people’s eyes in America, he's gotten away with a lot and they’re sick and tired of it.”
Watch Smith's comments here:
Smith then continued his criticism on ESPN’s “First Take”, focusing on Woods’ decision to step away from the game rather than directly addressing the dangers of his actions.
“What we want to know is that you ain't gonna get behind the wheel of a damn car. ... you’re lucky you didn’t kill somebody,” Smith said.
“That's what we want to hear. Nothing else is our business.”
He added: “You must have a very highly suspect life, that you, as a billionaire, don't even want to hire a driver. Something's wrong. Something's wrong with that. 'You want your privacy.' Privacy from what? What's the driver gonna do, cause he dropped you off some place, he'll know where he dropped you off? What are you trying to hide?
“It's a rhetorical question, because I don't care, and none of us should care, it's none of our business. What is our business, is you staying away from being behind the wheel of a vehicle when you're inebriated.”
Watch Smith's comments here:
Smith's views very much follow those of former long-time lead Sky Sports Golf host David Livingstone, who deems Woods' golf career “should have been killed off years ago.”
What do you make of Tiger Woods' actions last Friday? Do you think he will recover and return to the game, or is this sadly the end for him now within the sport? Share your thoughts and comments below, or head over to our social media channels to join the debate - @GolfMagic





![Yurav Premlall [DP World Tour]](https://www.golfmagic.com/sites/default/files/2026-05/premi12.jpg?aspect_ratio=1:1)