Prince Andrew has today been stripped of his military roles and royal patronages by The Queen, and it will now seriously call into question his patron roles at more than 20 golf clubs, societies and associations in the United Kingdom.
The Duke of York, who will no longer use HRH in official capacty, has been told he will have to face his sex assault lawsuit as a 'private citizen'.
Prince Andrew's roles will now be given to other Royal Family members, according to a royal source.
A statement from Buckingham Palace regarding The Duke of York: pic.twitter.com/OCeSqzCP38— The Royal Family (@RoyalFamily) January 13, 2022
"With The Queen's approval and agreement, The Duke of York's military affiliations and Royal patronages have been returned to The Queen," read a Buckingham Palace statement on Thursday afternoon.
"The Duke of York will continue not to undertake any public duties and is defending this case as a private citizen."
Just had it confirmed from a spokesperson at The Royal and Ancient Golf Club that Prince Andrew "remains an honorary member but doesn't carry out any active duties on behalf of the club."— Andy Roberts (@AndyRobertsGolf) January 13, 2022
Prince Andrew does however remain an honorary member of the R&A.
A spokesperson from The Royal and Ancient Golf Club told GolfMagic today: "He remains an honorary member but doesn't carry out any active duties on behalf of the club."
One golf fan wrote on Twitter: "So Prince Andrew’s duties are going to the Queen. I didn’t know she played golf."
So Prince Andrew’s duties are going to the Queen. I didn’t know she played golf.— Martyn Buxton4 (@BuxtonMb) January 13, 2022
The move to axe Andrew of his military roles and royal patronages comes 24 hours after a US judge unequivocally rejected a bid to have his sex abuse case thrown out of court.
Prior to today's update, the Duke of York had retained his military roles, including the position of Colonel of the Grenadier Guards, one of the oldest and most emblematic regiments in the British Army.
But as of now, he has lost them.
"It's one of those PR moves to stop it getting worse," Victoria Howard, editor of The Crown Chronicles, told Sky News this afternoon.
She added: "It's a case of damage control and also you have to remember in the context of this they have already had a bumpy couple of years with Prince Harry and Megan, the Duchess of Sussex, and this year in 2022 is supposed to be that platinum jubilee year full of celebration and positivity for the monarchy, so it's a really important thing to get it out of the way now."
As it stands, Prince Andrew is the patron at 24 golf clubs, societies and associations.
Some golf clubs had already severed ties with the Duke of York years ago, while other clubs decided to remove pictures of him from their clubhouses.
In May last year it was reported that more than 50 charities had severed ties with him.
Of those that had already removed the Duke as patron included the Berkshire County Cricket Club, the Whitgift School in Croydon and the Golf Foundation.
No doubt many more will now follow suit after today's development.
Prince Andrew infuriated members of the public in 2019 when he took a £16,000 flight on the taxpayers' dime to watch the 2019 Open.
Shane Lowry lifted the Claret Jug that week and the Duke, now 61, insisted he had no other means to get there and was a spectator as part of his patronage.