Donald Trump is never too far away from a controversy. Or a golf course.
This week, 45 is at Trump National Golf Club in Washington, D.C., for the seventh LIV Golf event of 2023.
Trump played in the pro-am with Patrick Reed, Graeme McDowell, his son Eric and Brooks Koepka's father Bob.
Related: LIV Golf going back to YouTube roots
There is no denying it would be a crowning jewel for Trump if one of his courses were to host a major championship.
That was scheduled to happen last year after the PGA of America agreed to play the 2022 PGA Championship at his course in Bedminster, N.J.
But the governing body that oversees the major stripped him of that right five days after the January 6 insurrection.
There was never an explicit reference to the riots in the PGA of America's statement about the decision.
Caption this... pic.twitter.com/sFluYdYfay— GolfMagic (@GolfMagic) May 26, 2023
That being said, the president of the governing body, Jim Richerson, previously stated it would be 'detrimental' to the PGA of America's brand if the major was to be played in Bedminster.
Turns out, Trump is still more than a bit bitter about the whole affair.
Trump agreed to take a few questions from the FAKE NEWS MEDIA™ after the pro-am. Asked about this again, he said:
Trump was also very confident about the future of the rival tour, insisting the Saudis' involvement in the sport is 'very good' because there is 'unlimited money'.
Trump also reportedly said that it was 'not at all' the case that LIV events are being staged at his courses as some sort of reward for policies he enacted while in office.
He did, however, confirm that his courses receive a rental fee but declined to say how much money has changed hands. "It's peanuts for me," he said.