LIV Golf players NOT welcome back on the PGA Tour, says Jay Monahan

PGA Tour commissioner Jay Monahan remains defiant that LIV Golf players will not be returning to the circuit ahead of the new season. 

Andy Roberts's picture
Wed, 31 Aug 2022
LIV Golf players NOT welcome back on the PGA Tour, says Jay Monahan

PGA Tour commissioner Jay Monahan remains defiant that those players that have defected to LIV Golf who are still members of the PGA Tour will not be welcome back anytime soon. 

Despite many PGA Tour players switching allegiance to LIV Golf in recent months, there are still a number of players on the Saudi-backed Tour who are still members of the PGA Tour such as Brooks Koepka, Phil Mickelson, Bryson DeChambeau and new signing Cameron Smith. 

Some players on LIV Golf have now binned their PGA Tour cards such as Dustin Johnson and Sergio Garcia, as to avoid any ongoing legal battles and to fully dedicate the rest of their careers to LIV Golf without any issues. 

All LIV Golf players who are still members of the PGA Tour remain suspended from competing in all PGA Tour events moving forwards, including the upcoming Presidents Cup in three weeks' time at Quail Hollow Club in Charlotte. 

And that will not be changing anytime soon, according to PGA Tour boss Monahan. 

"No," said Monahan firmly, when quizzed by the media on whether or not LIV Golf Tour players would be allowed to return to the PGA Tour during the new 2022/23 season. 

"They've joined the LIV Golf Series. They've made that commitment and for most of them they're multi-year commitments.

"So as I've been clear throughout, every player has a choice. I respect their choice, but they've made it, we've made ours, we are going to focus on the things we can control and get stronger and stronger. I think they understand that."

Monahan last week confirmed a host of huge changes for the PGA Tour moving forwards, comprising 12 Elevated Events in 2023, a commitment from the top players to play 20 events, an expansion of the Player Impact Program and guaranteed minimum earnings.

Tiger Woods and Rory McIlroy even announced proposals for a new Monday Night League in partnership with the PGA Tour.

The new plan devised by the PGA Tour has come into force in a bid to tackle LIV Golf from taking any more of its best players. 

Cameron Young and Hideki Matsuyama were both linked with LIV Golf over the summer, but both players have decided to remain loyal to the PGA Tour despite receiving some huge offers to join the Saudi-backed series.

Matsuyama especially, who is understood to have been offered in the region of $400 million. The Japanese star is said to want to continue to build his legacy on the PGA Tour, at least for now. 

Young confirmed to the media over the weekend that he had been in talks with LIV Golf and was definitely interested in their plans, but that the PGA Tour's latest news swung the vote their way. 

Despite Young and Matsuyama sticking with the PGA Tour (at least for now), LIV Golf did officially announce six new signings ahead of LIV Golf Boston this week. 

World No.2 and Open champion Cameron Smith is the headline name, and he has been joined by Marc Leishman, Joaquin Niemann, Anirban Lahiri, Harold Varner III and Cameron Tringale. 

Smith is understood to have agreed a signing-on fee to join LIV Golf in the region of $100 million. 

But many GolfMagic readers believe Smith has made a mistake

Next Page: The 19 players to have been AXED by the LIV Golf Tour ahead of Boston