That is because, memorably, Koepka was playing behind Cantlay during the final round of the 2023 Masters at Augusta National.
After coming up short to Jon Rahm, Koepka complained the group in front was 'brutally slow'.
So slow, in fact, that Rahm had time for several bathroom breaks before he slipped on a green jacket for the very first time.
Koepka played his first round in 1-under par at Royal Liverpool. Cantlay posted the same score.
So how did the pair get on with pace of play? Well, turns out that there was an issue. But with the group in front as they were put on the clock.
Koepka claimed the group in front, KH Lee, Davis Riley, Taiga Semikawa, were informed they were going too slowly through nine holes.
"We were on 8," Koepka said. "I think they got put on the clock."
The group in front of Koepka and Cantlay did get a wiggle on. Still, Koepka wasn't too happy with his front nine, describing them as sloppy.
Much like Rory McIlroy, he rallied to post a decent score to keep himself in contention.
He was asked by one journalist if he expected to see better scores on day one, given that it 'wasn't that windy'.
Then Koepka offered a response that is typical of the American: "You go out there then," he said with a smile. "It's windier than you think."
Brooks Koepka to a journalist post round: “you go out there then” ☠️ pic.twitter.com/JdJNdocDb2— NUCLR GOLF (@NUCLRGOLF) July 20, 2023
Open Championship 2023 info:
- The Open Championship field
- The Open Championship tee times
- The Open Championship odds
- LIV Golf players in the field
- Streaming information
- How to watch
- Prize money information
- Exemption categories
- Players who are exempt but not competing
More GolfMagic articles from the 2023 Open Championship
- The coolest thing about The Open, according to Rory
- Why Tiger Woods isn't playing The Open
- Spieth channels inner child
- Stenson launched impassioned LIV Golf defence
- Cam Smith fires warning shot to Rory
- Cam Smith defends Greg Norman
- McIlroy snubs media duties (again!)
- Feature: Oliver Wilson interview
- Koepka fires back over Rory question
- Paige Spiranac weighs in on enduring debate
- Players briefed about Just Stop Oil
- Jon Rahm backs PGA Tour boss
- Fitzy downplays his Open chances
- R&A boss on Saudi investment for The Open
- Hideki caught 'twerking' on the range
- Senior player 'targeted' by activist
- McIlroy finally speaks to the media!
- R&A announces new tournament
- You won't miss Viktor Hovland this week
- Tiger arrives at The Open
- Pat Reed blasts merger
- Who is Christo Lamprecht?
- Par-3 17th claims first victim!
- Matt Jordan's other-worldly bunker shot
Watched our latest YouTube video?