Rickie Fowler knows what it's like to struggle on the golf course.
Thomas' brutal major season came to an abrupt end on Friday, 21 July at Royal Liverpool, missing the cut by as many as seven strokes.
It means he has now missed cuts at the 87th Masters and the U.S. Open. He was a non-factor as he attempted to defend the PGA Championship.
"I can hit shots like a World No. 1 and then I make a nine," Thomas told reporters at Hoylake, discussing why things have gone south.
To be brutally honest, it has been bad. His first round 82 here at this Open was a career-worst in a major. Thomas also carded an 81 at Los Angeles Country Club.
So what gives? Fowler had some thoughts after he climbed the leaderboard on the third day of the 151st Open Championship.
Fowler said JT is 'nowhere close' to what he went through. Fowler's lowest point likely came when he dropped outside the top 150 players in the world last summer.
He's back up to 22 - boosted by a first PGA Tour win in five years a few weeks ago in Detroit - and has his sights set on trying to edge his way back into the top-10.
Fowler looks certain to be heading to the Marco Simone Golf & Country Club later this year.
"Everyone goes through it at some point," said Fowler, adding:
What others have said about Justin Thomas:
Rickie Fowler returns to the winner's circle on the PGA Tour after needing extra holes to win the Rocket Mortgage Classic.— GolfMagic (@GolfMagic) July 2, 2023
It's been 1,610 days since his last win. pic.twitter.com/Ymrg4EpUnp
Fowler said that there's still enough time (70 days before the Ryder Cup) to turn things around.
Open Championship 2023 info:
- The Open Championship field
- The Open Championship tee times
- The Open Championship odds
- LIV Golf players in the field
- Streaming information
- How to watch
- Prize money information
- Exemption categories
- Players who are exempt but not competing
More GolfMagic articles from the 2023 Open Championship
- The coolest thing about The Open, according to Rory
- Why Tiger Woods isn't playing The Open
- Spieth channels inner child
- Stenson launched impassioned LIV Golf defence
- Cam Smith fires warning shot to Rory
- Cam Smith defends Greg Norman
- McIlroy snubs media duties (again!)
- Feature: Oliver Wilson interview
- Koepka fires back over Rory question
- Paige Spiranac weighs in on enduring debate
- Players briefed about Just Stop Oil
- Jon Rahm backs PGA Tour boss
- Fitzy downplays his Open chances
- R&A boss on Saudi investment for The Open
- Hideki caught 'twerking' on the range
- Senior player 'targeted' by activist
- McIlroy finally speaks to the media!
- R&A announces new tournament
- You won't miss Viktor Hovland this week
- Tiger arrives at The Open
- Pat Reed blasts merger
- Who is Christo Lamprecht?
- Par-3 17th claims first victim!
- Matt Jordan's other-worldly bunker shot
- Patrick Reed with explosive comments
- Fleetwood raises hopes of Open success
- How Paige Spiranac celebrated The Open
- Wyndham Clark hits spectator's iPad
- Ernie Els rages with PGA Tour top brass
- Rickie Fowler labelled 'a coward'
- An outrageous McIlroy par save
- Lefty almost wipes out Collin
- Brooks Koepka with frosty response to reporter
Watched our latest YouTube video?