The 2022 Open Champion posted a 4-under 68 at Centurion Club in Hemel Hempstead to set up a Sunday duel with a host of big names and fellow Aussie Marc Leishman.
His round got off to a shaky start with a bogey at the first hole but he rallied to turn in 1-under par.
Related: Cam Smith on Tiger's silence
Smith revealed he was pleased 'I was able to get a score' out of his Saturday round not finding the centre of the clubface with his drive with any regularity.
On more than one occasion the 29-year-old lost drives out to the right and had to use all of his skill to scramble and save par.
On the team front, it's Smith's Ripper side out in front on 23-under, two ahead of the all-South African side Stinger and four ahead of Johnson's 4Aces and Bubba Watson's RangeGoats.
The individual winner receives $4m whilst the team split a $3m bonus.
Smith told the media:
More from LIV Golf London:
- Gooch doesn't regret infamous comment
- How much every LIV Golf player has won in 2023!
- LIV Golf boss shocked PGA Tour execs
- Lefty's pro-am involved panicked fore shout
- Ian Poulter opens up on Rory McIlroy
- Oosthuizen calls for radical change
- Tiger Woods' ally plays LIV Golf pro-am
- Phil Mickelson breaks silence over PGA Tour deal
- Patrick Reed with hilarious fore shout
Leaderboard after 36 holes:
- C. Smith -12
- T. Pieters, M. Leishman, L. Oosthuizen -9
- P. Reed -8
- K. Na, D. Johnson, C. Koepka, L. Canter, C. Tringale, A. Ancer -6
- Ripper -23
- Stinger -22
- 4Aces, RangeGoats -19
- Majesticks, Crushers -16
- Smash -14
- HyFlyers -13
- Cleeks -12
- Fireballs -11
- Iron Heads -9
- Torque -7
Watched our latest YouTube video?