Fowler, who has been battling his way back to the top after a rough few years in the game, started on the back nine at Los Angeles Country Club.
By day's end he managed to card 10 birdies alongside two bogeys. In contrast, Schauffele's round was flawless.
Schauffele, 29, had a putt to pip 34-year-old Fowler by one at his final hole but left his birdie putt in the jaws much to his annoyance.
It means the duo now share the lowest round in US Open history. They also tied the lowest round in men's major championship history.
To put that in perspective, per stats man Justin Ray, there have been more than 47,000 rounds played in the US Open.
World No. 1 Scheffler reckons the USGA might be a tad annoyed given it's a US Open. He also said he didn't see a 62 out there on Thursday.
Scheffler found himself five back of Fowler and Schauffele after posting an opening 3-under 67.
| Rickie Fowler posts an opening round of 8-under 62 at Los Angeles Country Club.— GolfMagic (@GolfMagic) June 15, 2023
Ten birdies. Two bogeys.
The lowest round in US Open history. pic.twitter.com/X0Qb3vlQe0
As for Fowler, he paid tribute to coach Butch Harmon in the immediate aftermath of his round.
Of his 'journey', Fowler said it has been 'long and tough', adding:
Xander Schauffele ties Rickie Fowler with an 8-under 62. No bogeys on the card for X-Man. pic.twitter.com/HcLxDKZX1q— GolfMagic (@GolfMagic) June 15, 2023
Schauffele reflected on his opening round by saying he was just trying to chase down Fowler.
"It's not really what you expect playing a US Open," he said. "But monkey see, monkey do."
More GolfMagic articles from 2023 US Open:
- Rory McIlroy cracks up at heckler
- Golf fans shocked by Patrick Reed gesture
- Los Angeles Country Club course breakdown
- Morikawa with epic PGA Tour-PIF answer
- McIlroy avoids Mickelson mix-up
- Cantlay weighs in on Rahm 'betrayal' remark
- Justin Rose still baffled by Ryder Cup exclusions
- Koepka from the top rope with PGA Tour joke
- Fowler makes shock JT, Spieth admission
- LIV backers setting up compensation fund for loyalists