Whenever the Open Championship rolls around, the chatter preceding the major is how the players will fare against the elements and the treacherously difficult pot bunkers.
Adam Scott is one such player who had to deal with these two issues at this 151st Open at Royal Liverpool.
Take, for example, this state of affairs during the fourth round of the last final of the year at Hoylake.
Scott wasn't a factor at this tournament and had to battle extremely hard to make cut.
He was having a good day at this point in time, though. He holed out for eagle at No. 4 and made birdie at 11 when he arrived at the par-4 12th.
His 291-yard drive was a bit right. From there, his approach landed in the right greenside trap in what looked like an extremely difficult lie.
But if you're Adam Scott, it doesn't matter if your golf ball is up against the face. Just watch this sorcery below. Scott went on to salvage his par.
Up against the face.— The Open (@TheOpen) July 23, 2023
No problem for Adam Scott. pic.twitter.com/8nDe5xaFPh
Had Scott been in this situation on Thursday morning then there is a distinct possibility things could have been worse.
The R&A announced after the first round of play was concluded the depth of the pot bunkers was adjusted, therefore making things a little bit easier for the players.
There was a backlash over how they were raked. A statement from the R&A to the media read:
Open Championship 2023 info:
- The Open Championship field
- The Open Championship tee times
- The Open Championship odds
- LIV Golf players in the field
- Streaming information
- How to watch
- Prize money information
- Exemption categories
- Players who are exempt but not competing
More GolfMagic articles from the 2023 Open Championship
- The coolest thing about The Open, according to Rory
- Why Tiger Woods isn't playing The Open
- Spieth channels inner child
- Stenson launched impassioned LIV Golf defence
- Cam Smith fires warning shot to Rory
- Cam Smith defends Greg Norman
- McIlroy snubs media duties (again!)
- Feature: Oliver Wilson interview
- Koepka fires back over Rory question
- Paige Spiranac weighs in on enduring debate
- Players briefed about Just Stop Oil
- Jon Rahm backs PGA Tour boss
- Fitzy downplays his Open chances
- R&A boss on Saudi investment for The Open
- Hideki caught 'twerking' on the range
- Senior player 'targeted' by activist
- McIlroy finally speaks to the media!
- R&A announces new tournament
- You won't miss Viktor Hovland this week
- Tiger arrives at The Open
- Pat Reed blasts merger
- Who is Christo Lamprecht?
- Par-3 17th claims first victim!
- Matt Jordan's other-worldly bunker shot
- Patrick Reed with explosive comments
- Fleetwood raises hopes of Open success
- How Paige Spiranac celebrated The Open
- Wyndham Clark hits spectator's iPad
- Ernie Els rages with PGA Tour top brass
- Rickie Fowler labelled 'a coward'
- An outrageous McIlroy par save
- Lefty almost wipes out Collin
- Brooks Koepka with frosty response to reporter
- Shane Lowry loses his cool
- Rickie and Rory discuss JT
- Brian Harman hates this nickname
- Paddy reacts to Talor Gooch distraction
- ZJ concerned with JT
- Scheffler on giant TVs distracting him
- Jon Rahm shuts down reporter
- Who is Alex Fitzpatrick's girlfriend?
- McIlroy's major woes continue