Rory McIlroy says he 'cannot be too frustrated' after ensuring his major drought extended into a tenth year.
McIlroy, 34, posted a final round of 68 at the 151st Open Championship at Royal Liverpool to finish on 6-under par.
He needed card a 63 or 64 if he was going to have any chance to chase down the surprise 54-hole leader Brian Harman.
But it was not to be for the Northern Irishman, who has now posted 20 top-10 finishes in the majors over the last nine years.
McIlroy described his performance - where he carded rounds of 71, 70, 69 and 68 as 'solid' but 'not spectacular'.
Once again it was a tale of woe for McIlroy on the putting surface, his flatstick letting him down when he was superb from tee to green.
McIlroy's performances in the majors this year saw him miss the cut at he 87th Masters, 'struggle to piece it together' at the US PGA Championship and finish runner-up once again at the U.S. Open.
The Ulsterman attempted to keep a low-profile this week by cancelling his pre-tournament press conference but things didn't fall his way.
Asked if he was frustrated or if he feels he now has a platform for success, McIlroy said:
"I just keep looking forward," McIlroy said.
Asked about Harman's performance this week, he added:
What do you make of McIlroy's performances this year in the majors? Will he finally get a break through? Why not send us a Tweet?
Open Championship 2023 info:
- The Open Championship field
- The Open Championship tee times
- The Open Championship odds
- LIV Golf players in the field
- Streaming information
- How to watch
- Prize money information
- Exemption categories
- Players who are exempt but not competing
More GolfMagic articles from the 2023 Open Championship
- The coolest thing about The Open, according to Rory
- Why Tiger Woods isn't playing The Open
- Spieth channels inner child
- Stenson launched impassioned LIV Golf defence
- Cam Smith fires warning shot to Rory
- Cam Smith defends Greg Norman
- McIlroy snubs media duties (again!)
- Feature: Oliver Wilson interview
- Koepka fires back over Rory question
- Paige Spiranac weighs in on enduring debate
- Players briefed about Just Stop Oil
- Jon Rahm backs PGA Tour boss
- Fitzy downplays his Open chances
- R&A boss on Saudi investment for The Open
- Hideki caught 'twerking' on the range
- Senior player 'targeted' by activist
- McIlroy finally speaks to the media!
- R&A announces new tournament
- You won't miss Viktor Hovland this week
- Tiger arrives at The Open
- Pat Reed blasts merger
- Who is Christo Lamprecht?
- Par-3 17th claims first victim!
- Matt Jordan's other-worldly bunker shot
- Patrick Reed with explosive comments
- Fleetwood raises hopes of Open success
- How Paige Spiranac celebrated The Open
- Wyndham Clark hits spectator's iPad
- Ernie Els rages with PGA Tour top brass
- Rickie Fowler labelled 'a coward'
- An outrageous McIlroy par save
- Lefty almost wipes out Collin
- Brooks Koepka with frosty response to reporter
- Shane Lowry loses his cool
- Rickie and Rory discuss JT
- Brian Harman hates this nickname
- Paddy reacts to Talor Gooch distraction
- ZJ concerned with JT
- Scheffler on giant TVs distracting him
- Jon Rahm shuts down reporter
- Who is Alex Fitzpatrick's girlfriend?
- McIlroy's major woes continue